Since its founding in 1905, Swedish Medical Center has provided the South Denver community with exemplary medical and surgical care from highly skilled providers.
About Swedish Medical Center
Swedish Medical Center consistently provides the highest quality patient care and has been recognized for excellence both locally and nationally. We are committed to ensuring that our patients, guests and staff feel safe and cared for when entering our hospital.
Learn more about our hospital and how to reach out to our public relationships department.
At a glance
- Beds: 408
- Employees: approximately 2,000 employees; 1,400 physicians on staff
- History: Founded in 1905
- Led by President & CEO Ryan Tobin
Why choose Swedish Medical Center
Our specializations are a key reason why many choose our hospital for their care.
- Swedish Trauma: Swedish serves as the region’s neurotrauma and orthopedic trauma provider and is the area’s only level I trauma facility with a dedicated burn and reconstructive center. Learn more about Swedish Medical Center’s trauma services.
- Specialized, advanced neurosciences: With stroke treatments averaging around 20 minutes from the door to care, our facility prioritizes efficient care when patients need it most. Swedish serves as the Rocky Mountain region’s referral center for the most advanced stroke treatment and was the state’s first The Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center. Learn about our specialties.
- Excellent patient care: We are proud to be recognized by many organizations for our dedication to our patients and their families. You can learn more by reading stories from our patients.
Swedish Medical Center's media relations team has a long-standing, positive relationship with the news media, and we pride ourselves on responsiveness and accessibility. Reporters, both locally and nationally, rely on us to help them obtain timely, credible and factual information.
Refer to our social media accounts for breaking hospital news:
Release of information objectives
Swedish Medical Center strictly adheres to federal guidelines (HIPAA) about patient privacy, meaning we will not release condition updates or submit media requests to families unless the reporter has the patient's name. It is our philosophy to present patients/families with all media requests so they may choose if they would like to participate. In addition, the Swedish Medical Center policy relating to the release of information is guided by the following objectives:
- To protect the well-being and privacy of Swedish Medical Center patients.
- To report news accurately and honestly in a timely fashion, cooperating with media when possible.
- To ensure the release of information involving Swedish Medical Center employees and facilities to the public and media is coordinated in a consistent manner.
- To protect and respect the rights of our employees, volunteers, patients and others associated with Swedish Medical Center.
- To represent Swedish Medical Center and its employees, volunteers and staff fairly and honestly.
- To inform the community about Swedish Medical Center's excellent patient care, business practices and community contributions.
- To meet or exceed applicable state law and best industry practices for information management.
Release of information guidelines and patient condition definitions
To interview Swedish Medical Center patients, physicians or staff members, please contact a member of the public relations team.
Please remember that all media inquiries regarding Swedish Medical Center must be directed to the public relations department or the nursing supervisor. Please see our Guide to News Media Relations for more information.
Public relations department contact
After hours and for routine patient condition updates, you also may contact the nursing supervisor at (303) 788-5000.
Swedish Medical Center statistics
Our awards and recognitions
Across all of our services and specialties, we strive to raise the bar on healthcare. Because of our dedication to this pursuit, we are proudly recognized by organizations such as The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association.
- Top 100 Hospital by Merative (formerly IBM Watson)
- Healthgrades America's 250 Best Hospitals Award
- Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award
- The Leapfrog Group A Rating 12 consecutive years
- Healthgrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Surgical Excellence Award™️
- American Heart Association Get With The Guidelines (R) - Stroke GOLD PLUS with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus
- Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care Award™️
- Healthgrades Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award™️
- Healthgrades Neurosciences Excellence Award™️
- American Burn Association verified burn center
- Healthgrades America's 100 Best Critical Care Award™️
- American Heart Association Get With The Guidelines(R) Gold Plus Award for Heart Failure
- ACC Accreditation Services Cardiac Cath Lab PCI Accreditation
- Chest Pain – MI Registry’s Platinum Award
- Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care Award™️
- Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care Award™️
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) three-star rating for patient care and outcomes in isolated coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) procedure
- Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Prostate Surgery Award™️
- Colorado Perinatal Care Quality Collaborative (CPCQC) Maternal and Infant Care Quality Champion
- Healthgrades 5-Star rating for Hysterectomy
- Healthgrades America's 100 Best Gastrointestinal Surgery Award™️
- Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care Award™️
- Healthgrades Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™️
- Healthgrades Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Award™️
The Joint Commission public notice
As required, our hospital undergoes unannounced surveys to assess our compliance with national standards related to our accreditations. If you have any information you want to share related to this, you may request a public information interview with The Joint Commission.
MyHealthONE allows you to manage all parts of your healthcare easily and securely
- View health records — lab results, physician notes, imaging reports and more
- View your post-visit summary
- Schedule a follow-up appointment
- Share your health records with a physician or caregiver
- And more